Tuesday 10 February 2009

Museum Day!

Considering that I wasn't in Ireland this weekend I needed something to fulfill my time.  Not many people know this but London is home to more than 200 museums...many of those museums being free.  Therefore, I went to two different museums this Saturday including: the Museum of London and The Science Museum.  Here's a little synopsis of each one:

The Museum of London: This museums was the entire history, and detail of events, that happened in London until present time.  It included when London was filled with Native Americans and settlers to Roman London times, Medieval London (including the Black Plaugue which killed 40,000 people in London and at that time half the population!), the Great Fire of London (1666) and present events (while there they had an exhibit on homeless people in London including poems and artwork).  It was quite interesting and I enjoyed it...although the rest of my friends didn't. What can I say I just really like museums!

Interesting facts:
-The Great Fire of London was started in a bakery oven by a baker on Pudding Lane.
-The city of London had been dry for numerous days and all the houses and buildings were wooden; basically it isn't surprising the fire carried throughout most of the city based how it was set up.
- The great fire destroyed 4/5th of the City of London and overall destroyed 1/3 of all of London.
-Although one man was hung as responsible for the London Fire they to this day don't know who truly started the Fire of London.
-Although many people's homes and belongings were destroyed or burned to ash barely any people died and only a small few (I want to say around 70-something possibly) were hurt or injured.

The Science Museum:
The Science Museum was AMAZING.  It reminded me of the Indy Children's Museum back at home with a couple more grown up exhibits also.  They had this one floor called Launchpad which was all interactive stuff such as a long echo tube, pulleys and levers, making ice and more.  There were a ton of little British families and kids there and there my friends and I were, right with them trying to test out all the different machines!  Anyways, it was great but also HUGE so I definitely am going back there again. 

Below are some pictures from the 2 museums.  Most of them are from the Museum of London except for the last 1 or 2. 


Enjoy looking at them and hopefully I taught you something from my Museum Day =]

No comments:

Post a Comment